He proves that God can truly use anybody from anywhere; you do not need to be a Bible scholar to be successful in the Lord. Moody: A Man used of God D. Moody, whose full name is Dwight Lyman Moody, is a famous nineteenth-century evangelist. Moody came from humble beginnings in fortune and in faith.

Author:Zule Faegore
Language:English (Spanish)
Published (Last):2 February 2010
PDF File Size:6.40 Mb
ePub File Size:15.10 Mb
Price:Free* [*Free Regsitration Required]

He was only four when his father, Edwin, a bricklayer and an alcoholic, died suddenly at His mother, Betsy Holton , was now a widow at 36 with seven children Twins were born one month after the death of the father bringing the total to nine. Their uncle and the local Unitarian pastor came to their aid at this time.

The pastor also baptized Moody age five in This was undoubtedly sprinkling and his only "baptism" experience. Six-year-old Moody never forgot seeing his brother Isaiah leave home. The reconciliation, years later, became an illustration in a sermon depicting God welcoming the wanderer home with outstretched arms. On his seventeenth birthday , Dwight Moody went to Boston to seek employment.

Church seemed boring, but a faithful Sunday School teacher encouraged him along. One Saturday, April 21, , the teacher, Edward Kimball, walked into the store and found Moody wrapping shoes. He said, "I want to tell you how much Christ loves you. Later he told how he felt, "I was in a new world. The birds sang sweeter, the sun shone brighter. On September 18, , he arrived in Chicago where another uncle, Calvin, helped him obtain a position in a shoe store operated by the Wiswall brothers.

His interest in church work continued as he joined the Plymouth Congregational Church. He rented four pews there to provide lonely boys like himself a place of worship. Then he joined the mission band of the First Methodist Church, visiting and distributing tracts at hotels and boarding houses. Here he met wealthy dry goods merchant John V.

Farwell, who later would be a great help. He also worked out of the First Baptist Church where he was later married. The prayer revival that was sweeping the nation in also contributed to his enthusiasm for the things of God. Discovering a little afternoon Sunday School on the corner of Chicago and Wells he offered his help. He was told there were already nearly as many teachers as students so he began recruiting.

The first week he brought in eighteen students, doubling the Sunday School! Soon his recruiting overflowed the place. He withdrew to the shores of Lake Michigan in the summer of and taught children, using pieces of driftwood as chairs. He was dubbed "Crazy Moody" about this time, but respect came through the years as the title slowly changed to "Brother Moody," "Mr.

Moody," and finally, "D. A visiting preacher reported his favorable impressions The use of prizes, free pony rides and picnics along with genuine love for children soon produced the largest Sunday School in Chicago, reaching some 1, weekly.

Moody supervised, recruited, and did the janitor work early Sunday morning, cleaning out the debris from a Saturday night dance, to get ready for the afternoon Sunday School. Friends believed he could have become a millionaire had he concentrated his efforts in business.

This decision was prompted by the following incident. A dying Sunday School teacher had to return east because of his health and was greatly concerned about the salvation of the girls in his class.

The next night the girls gathered together for a farewell prayer meeting to pray for their sick teacher. This so moved Moody that soul- winning seemed to be the only important thing to do from then on.

He made a vow to tell some person about the Savior each day, even though it eventually meant getting up out of bed at times. He married Emma Charlotte Revell on August 28, when he was 25 and she nineteen. With the advent of the Civil War, Moody found himself doing personal work among the soldiers. He was on battlefields on nine occasions serving with the U. Christian Commission. At the Battle of Murfreesboro in January, , under fire, he went among the wounded and dying asking, "Are you a Christian?

A vacant saloon was cleaned, rented and fixed up for Sunday evening services with the Sunday School continuing at North Market Hall until it burned in Then Kinzie Hall was used for a year. It began February 28, with twelve members. This was the official beginning of what is now known as Moody Church. He preached Sunday evenings until a pastor, J.

Harwood, was called in and served until , during which time Moody served as a deacon. The Chicago Y. He had a part in erecting the first Y. That year he also held his first revival campaign in Philadelphia.

He also wanted to meet Spurgeon and Mueller. On this trip, while they sat in a public park in Dublin, Evangelist Henry Varley remarked, "The world has yet to see what God will do with, and for, and through, and in, and by, the man who is fully consecrated to Him.

Three incidents prepared Moody for his world-famous evangelistic crusades. For seven nights he preached from the text, John , counselling Moody privately, "Teach what the Bible says, not your own words, and show people how much God loves them. A second incident was the meeting of Ira A.

Sankey, while attending a Y. Moody was to speak at a 7 a. Sankey was there. A third incident was the Chicago fire and the ensuing filling of the Holy Spirit. On Sunday night, October 8, , while preaching at Farwell Hall, which was now being used because of the increased crowds, Moody asked his congregation to evaluate their relationships to Christ and return next week to make their decisions for Him. That crowd never regathered.

While Sankey was singing a closing song, the din of fire trucks and church bells scattered them forever, for Chicago was on fire. The Y. The church was reopened on December 24, , and it was now called the North Side Tabernacle, located on Ontario and Wells Street, close to the former building.

There was no regular pastor at this church in its brief history I cannot describe it. I seldom refer to it. Paul had an experience of which he never spoke for fourteen years. I can only say that God was revealed to me, and I had such an experience of His love that I had to ask Him to stay His hand.

The evening service ended with nearly the entire congregation in the inquiry room. He continued on for ten days with some people saved. It was learned that an invalid had been praying for two years for him to come to the church! Three English men invited him back the following year. With their families, Moody and Sankey left June 7, Little did they know that they were going to shake England as Whitefield and Wesley had years previously.

Two of the sponsors had died by the time they arrived and they were fortunate to get an invitation to conduct some meetings at the York Y. Five weeks of meetings saw won to Christ. Meyer was the principal supporter. Then they traveled on to Sunderland for five weeks with Arthur A.

Rees, the host. Next came Newcastle where the meetings were gigantic with special trains bringing people in from surrounding areas. Here a novel all-day meeting was held and their first hymn book was introduced to the public. Now being invited to Scotland, the evangelists began in Edinburgh on November For hundreds of years, only Psalms had been sung here with no musical instruments.

Now Sankey began "singing the Gospel" and crowds packed out the 2,seat auditorium. By the time the last service was over on January 20th, Moody was receiving requests from all over the British Isles.

They spent two weeks in Dundee and then began the Glasgow, Scotland, crusade on February 8, These meetings soon moved into the 4,seat Crystal Palace and after three months climaxed with a service at the famed Botanic Gardens Palace. Moody was unable to even enter the building surrounded by 15, to 30, people, so he spoke to them from a carriage and the choir sang from the roof of a nearby shed! An estimated 3, converts were won in each of these two places.

Now Ireland was calling, so they began at Belfast on September 6, People flocked to hear them and the largest buildings of each city were used. A great climactic service was held in the Botanic Gardens on October 8, in the open air with thousands attending. One final service was held October 15 with admission by ticket only.

Tickets were given only to those who wanted to be saved. Two thousand, four hundred came. Next it was Dublin October November 29, where even the Irish Catholics were glad at the awakening amongst their Protestant neighbors.


D.L. Moody

He left home at age 17 to seek employment in Boston. After failing to secure a desirable position, he asked his uncle, Samuel Holton, for a job. Reluctantly, Uncle Samuel hired Dwight to work in his own retail shoe store. However, to keep young Moody out of mischief, employment was conditional upon his attendance at the Mt.


The Life & Times of D. L. Moody

Early life[ edit ] Dwight Moody was born in Northfield, Massachusetts , as the seventh child in a large family. His father, Edwin J. Moody — , was a small farmer and stonemason. Their mother struggled to support the nine children, but had to send some off to work for their room and board. Dwight too was sent off, where he received cornmeal, porridge, and milk three times a day. During this time, she continued to send the children to church. Together with his eight siblings, Dwight was raised in the Unitarian church.


About D.L. Moody

Today in Christian History Daily A daily newsletter featuring the most important and significant events on each day in Christian History. Christianity Today Connection Weekly Get the inside story with this official newsletter of the global media ministry. Email Address Subscribe to the selected newsletters. Yet during his day, he was internationally renowned. Moody often spoke to audiences of ten thousand to twenty thousand people. He presented the plan of Salvation, by voice or pen, to at least one hundred million people.

Related Articles