How to get the PTAL? Wait for the confirmation which you have to print it out for the Medical Board of California communications. Keep copies of it for your personal records. Alternatively, you can pay by sending money order, certified check or personal check and make it payable to "Medical Board of California" and enclose it with your application papers however ApplicantGuide highly recommend doing this step online. Step 2 Fingerprints On the same above mentioned link there are two options "Live Scan Form" and "Live Scan Locations", if you live in California print the first form and fill it it will generate 3 copies and go to one of the locations present in the second mentioned link "Live Scan Locations".

Author:Shajas Zuluzshura
Language:English (Spanish)
Published (Last):26 May 2018
PDF File Size:14.19 Mb
ePub File Size:3.3 Mb
Price:Free* [*Free Regsitration Required]

For purposes of licensure, passing scores on a written examination are valid for a period of 10 years from the month of the examination. This period of validity may be extended by the Board for good cause and time spent in a postgraduate training program, including, but not limited to, residency training, fellowship training, remedial or refresher training, or other training that is intended to maintain or improve medical skills.

The year period also may be extended if you are licensed and practicing in another state; you will receive definitive information relative to your status upon receipt of a complete application. The Board will review the information provided, along with your application, and determine, on an individual basis, the items that will be accepted from FCVS.

Questions Regarding Fingerprints Do I have to get fingerprinted? In California, the process is completed using Live Scan, which is an electronic fingerprinting process. Out-of-state applicants may submit the traditional paper fingerprint cards approved to be used in California or come to California to use Live Scan.

If you live out of state, once you have submitted your application and fees, the Board will automatically send fingerprint cards to you. You may have your fingerprints taken by a local law enforcement agency or any other business approved for fingerprinting.

I already have been fingerprinted previously; can the Medical Board access those prints? Federal law allows a Criminal Records Report to be released only to the requesting agency.

You will need to undergo the fingerprinting and criminal history check process again specifically for the Medical Board. Questions About Criminal Convictions Must I disclose all criminal convictions, even minor offenses in college? You must disclose all convictions as well as all cases in which you pled guilty or nolo contendere, even if they have been expunged pursuant to Section Convictions that were adjudicated in the juvenile court or convictions under California Health and Safety Code sections b , c , d , e , or section b which are two years or older should NOT be reported.

Convictions that were later expunged from the record of the court or set aside pursuant to section Applicants should be aware that the Board receives information regarding actions that have been dismissed or expunged, and the application forms advise applicants to disclose all prior convictions including those that have been dismissed or expunged. If in doubt as to whether a conviction should be disclosed, it is best to disclose the conviction on the application.

What happens if I fail to disclose information on a criminal conviction? As an applicant, you are personally responsible for all information disclosed on your application including any responses that may have been completed on your behalf by others. An application may be denied based upon omission, falsification or misrepresentation of any item or response on the application or any attachment. The Board considers violations of an ethical nature to be a serious breach of professional conduct.

I was arrested but not convicted of a crime. How should I respond to the Criminal Record questions? You are not required to disclose an arrest which did not result in a conviction. How might a criminal conviction affect my application for licensure or a PTL application?

The Board is unable to provide legal advice to applicants or their representatives. Every situation is unique and is addressed on an individual basis. The Board reviews each conviction based not only on the conviction itself in relation to the statutes, but also on the underlying issues that led to the conviction. The Board does receive information regarding actions that have been expunged, and the application forms advise applicants to disclose all prior convictions, including those that have been expunged.

In addition, pending charges must be reported by an applicant immediately upon notification of the charge. The Board will learn of these actions through the fingerprint criminal history check. A conviction that does not, at first glance, appear to be substantially related to the qualifications, functions or duties of a physician, may, under closer scrutiny, be revealed otherwise e. Failure to disclose a conviction is considered to be dishonest, and therefore an egregious breach of ethics and is unprofessional conduct.

The failure to disclose a conviction is grounds for the Board to deny an application for licensure or PTL. If in doubt as to whether a conviction should be disclosed, it is best to disclose the conviction see the Criminal Record history section on the Application. These actions must be substantiated by appropriate evidence. I attended more than one medical school; do I need to document all of the institutions I attended on the application? You must document all institutions you attended. Additionally, certified copies of medical school transcripts must be provided from each institution you attended.

Can I provide a certified or notarized copy of my transcripts? You must request certified copies of your medical school transcripts to be sent directly from your medical school to the Medical Board of California. Certified copies must: Have the original signature of the dean or registrar of the medical school; Be affixed with the official school seal; and Include a statement attesting that the copy is a true and correct copy of the original. Can I provide a certified or notarized copy of my diploma?

The Board does not mandate that you use this online service. If this service is not utilized, certified copies of your diploma must be sent directly from your medical school to the Medical Board of California. To be eligible for a PTL, the applicant must be enrolled in an approved ACGME accredited postgraduate training program in California, have received all of their medical education from, and graduated from, a recognized medical school, taken and passed an examination recognized by the Board, and be certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates ECFMG.

When should I apply for a PTL? The PTL will be valid until 90 days after a resident has successfully completed 36 months of postgraduate training. How long is my PTL valid? The PTL will be valid until 90 days after a resident has successfully completed 36 months of accredited training if the resident is currently enrolled in an ACGME-accredited training program in California. When do I apply to transition my license? Transcripts, diplomas and any other academic documents prepared in a language other than English will need to be accompanied by a certified English translation.

Please refer to the Translation of International Academic Credentials information sheet for details regarding acceptable English translations.

The certified translation must be mailed directly from the translator to the Board to be acceptable.


Physicians and Surgeons

Further, a Postgraduate Training License PTL will be required for all residents participating in an ACGME accredited postgraduate training program in California in order to practice medicine as part of their training program. A PTL must be obtained within days after enrollment in the program and will not be required to be renewed. Any resident participating in an ACGME accredited postgraduate training program at the time the law goes in effect, and is not eligible for licensure, will need a PTL by June 30, , to continue in the program. As a result, international medical school graduates applying for the residency match will not require a PTAL and may apply for residency through the Electronic Residency Application Service.


No More PTAL and the New PTL in California 2020



Applying to California Residency Programs and the PTAL



Important Changes to Postgraduate Training and Licensing Requirements


Related Articles